Virginia Nursing License
In Virginia, the entity responsible for maintaining and enforcing the laws of the state that apply to nursing is the Virginia Board of Nursing.
The board sets minimum standards and approves the curriculum for nursing education; all nurses working and practicing in Virginia must have at least an associates degree in nursing, as well as a current, valid license. It also provides consultation for all education programs that request it, and conducts periodic surveys of the schools that provide nursing education.
In addition, it sets standards for those seeking a Virginia nursing license, and the board is also charged with the task of setting analogous standards for massage therapists.
Information about laws and rules that apply to nursing in Virginia can be found at http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/nursing/nursing_laws_regs.htm.
License applicants in Virginia must complete a four-year high school program or its equivalent, have a diploma from an approved professional nursing education program, and they must achieve a passing grade in the NCLEX-RN. They must also have a clean record with regard to any professional disciplinary action, past or current.
The board can also issue a provisional license for RNs who have met the educational and examination requirements and find themselves in situations in which they need to gain clinical experience under the supervision of an RN.
In addition, any work performed as an RN in any branch of the armed services is eligible for recognition as part of the licensing process.
Both Virginia and the majority of its border states belong to the Nurse Licensure Compact, which allows an RN holding a multi-state Virginia to perform electronic nursing in remote states. Nurses, however, can only hold an active license in one compact state.
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
The requirements for licensing applicants are analogous to those for RNs – two years of high school or the equivalent, a diploma from an approved practical nursing program, a certificate that shows they passed the NCLEX-PN and a clean record with regard to disciplinary violations.
Nurses can also apply for licensure by endorsement if they have been licensed in another state, the District of Columbia or a US possession or territory. In some of these cases, the board is charged with the task of evaluating and verifying their credentials and qualifications.
The state of Virginia is expected to experience a shortage of 10,000 to 20,000 nurses in the current decade, which means there will be plenty of job opportunities for RNs with an associates degree in nursing.
A list of schools offering this degree includes Norfolk State University, Blue Ridge Community College, Tidewater Community College (campuses in Hampton, Franklin and Portsmouth) and Piedmont Virginia Community College.
A complete list of these schools can be found at http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/associate-degree-nursing/#virginia.
Both the Board of Education and the Board of Nursing have an interagency agreement relating to the regulation of public school nursing education programs.
The agreement covers joint curriculum development, publishing newsletters and participating in inservice activities as well as state conferences. It also gives the two agencies the opportunity to comment on revisions of any necessary regulations.
The Director of the Board of Education relies on the Board of Nursing for implementation of the agreement and advice about any changes that need to be made therein.
LPNs must also have an associates degree in nursing to work and practice in Virginia, and the state offers a number of specialty programs for both LPNs and LVNs. These are typically one-year diploma or certificate programs that are basically identical to associates degree programs in nursing and are recognized by the state as such with regard to licensing issues.
A complete list of these programs can be found at http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/practical-vocational-nursing/#virginia.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Virginia licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
In Virginia, a massive expansion of the Medicaid rolls by approximately 42 percent is expected by the end of 2014, and this is one of several factors that has caused the state to expand its offerings of RN-to-BSN programs. These programs are designed to help meet expanded Medicaid needs and to provide nurses with additional career paths as they add to their skill sets.
A complete list of these schools and additional details about the progams they offer can be found at http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/rn-to-bsn/virginia/.