Utah Nursing License
In Utah, the licensing and education of nurses is monitored and regulated by the Boards of Nursing, which were established over a century ago by the state government to ensure the safe practice of nursing and make sure all working nurses acquire a Utah nursing license along with an appropriate degree.
The different boards in Utah each report to either the governor of Utah, a state agency, or both, and they also may report to another state organization or official. The decision-making powers and board structures are different for each board, with the personnel mix consisting of RNs, LPNs and LVNs, advanced practice RNs and consumers.
The duties of the boards are to enforce the Nurse Practice Act and the laws governing licensing, and to accredit or approve nurse education programs in colleges and universities. The also develop practice standards, policies, administrative rules and regulations. Information about the various responsibilities and duties of the boards can be found at https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm.
For nurses, though, the bottom line remains the same when it comes to state requirements: Nurses must have a current, valid license, and they also must be able to prove graduation from an approved school with at least an associates degree in nursing.
Qualifications for licensing are described in the Nurse Practice Act, which also provides information about which nursing titles are appropriate for use in different environments, along with an outline of the scope of practice. It also describes appropriate procedures for situations in which nursing laws are broken.
RNs in Utah must take and pass the NCLEX-RN exam. The passing standard for the examis periodically reviewed by the NCSBN Board of Directors every three years. The passing standard is measured in units called logits, which account for relative differences between the ability of the candidate and the difficulty of the items in the exam.
Utah is a Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC), which means both RNs and LPNs can have one multistate license that allows them to practice in Utah as well as other compact states.
In addition, Utah is a member of the APRN compact, which allows advanced practice RNs to hold a single multi-state license that in turn allows them to practice in other states.
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Nursing Education (AD)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
According to the US Department of Labor, Utah is expected to see an increase of approximately 28 percent in licensed LPNs by 2020. To qualify to be part of this ongoing growth, nurses must pass the NCLEX-PN exam, which requires an application fee of $100.
They can also apply via endorsement, and there are separate licensing procedures for international LPNs. BCI and FBI background checks are required for LPNs, along with fingerprinting. International LPNs must undergo a credential evaluation report conducted by the Foundation for International Services, Inc. to be eligible for the NCLEX-PN.
In addition, LPNs must renew their licenses every two years.
To renew, LPNs and RNNs must attain one of the following three requirements: 400 hours of practice, 200 practice hours plus 15 state-approved continuing education hours, or 30 state-approved education hours.
RNs in Utah must have at least an associates degree in nursing from a college or university approved by the Utah Board of Nursing.
Nursing schools that offer an associates in nursing include Dixie State College of Utah, Provo College, Salt Lake Community College and Utah Valley State College. A complete list of schools offering nursing degrees can be found at http://www.degreetree.com/resources/how-to-become-an-rn-in-utah.
Utah also supports the efforts of LPNs seeking to become RNs, with a variety of programs available to meet their needs. A list of these schools can be found at http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/lpn-to-rn/utah/.
The high rate of job growth for LPNs in Utah is fostering an accompanying growth in LPN education programs as well as an influx of LPNs with multistate licenses.
A partial list of LPN programs in Utah includes Davis Applied Technology College, Ogden-Weber Applied Technology College and Weber State University, with these schools ranked first, second and third in NCLEX passing rates. A more complete list of programs can be found at http://www.practicalnursing.org/lpn-programs/utah.
Most of these programs take approximately a year to complete, and they include both coursework and hands-on practice. Students are expected to obtain a CPR card during the education process.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Utah licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Due to an anticipated nursing shortage that was first recognized in 2005, Utah began preparing education programs to help RNs earn their Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Both online and long-distance options are available, and these can help Utah nurses advance the relatively annual salary of $58K for RNs.
The state’s top-ranked nursing school, the University of Utah at Salt Lake City, offers a 16-month part time RN-to-BSN program, with all classes completed online. Other schools offering this path include Southern Utah University and Weber State University.
A complete list of these programs can be found at http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/rn-to-bsn/utah/.