Ohio Nursing License
Ohio Board of Nursing
The Ohio State Board of Nursing is the institution responsible for efficiently licensing the nursing workforce, in order to remove all the dangerous medical practitioners and to safeguard the health and the safety of the patients of Ohio. It is the duty of the Ohio State Board of Nursing to regulate more than a quarter million licenses and certificates, and it certificates approximately 14,000 new registered nurses and licensed practical nurses on a yearly basis.
How To Become A LPN In Ohio
If you have decided to work as a LPN or a licensed practical nurse in the state of Ohio, then you must know that your education must firstly be approved by the state’s Board of Nursing, otherwise your formal education may not be educated. If you are educated in a foreign country, then you can have your education transferred from the CGFNS, or the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools, and then you will have to sit and pass the TOEFL examination. After completing the state approved LPN training program, which typically lasts for one year, you will have to meet all the eligibility requirements to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination, and to agree to a complete criminal background check in order to receive the licensure.
In order for that to happen, you will have to pay the application fee, to have the official transcripts sent over from your LPN training school to the Ohio State Board of Nursing, to provide proof of proficiency in English and you must also provide proof that you have completed the IV therapy course required for the licensure. After you receive your licensure, it is important to understand that the LPN licenses must be renewed once every 24 months, and for that you will have to have at least 24 hours of continuing education.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
Professional Skills Institute provides industry-modeled, hands-on medical training to prepare graduates for a new career as a Medical Office Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, or Pharmacy Technician.
You could start your healthcare career in less time than you think! PSI is the choice for healthcare training that leads to employment.
- Practical Nursing
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
How To Become A RN In Ohio
On the other hand, if you have decided to work as a RN or a registered nurse in the state of Ohio, it must be said that even though this requires considerably more training than LPNs, working as a RN is very rewarding. That being said, the first thing you need to do is to do your research and apply for enrollment in one of the Ohio State Board of Nursing-approved RN training programs that can last up to three years. Upon completion, you will move on to the RN license application process, and you will have to sit for the NCLEX-RN examination that will help you get the designation of certified registered nurse – this applies for first time licensees.
Nonetheless, if you have already managed to get your registered nurse license in another state, then you can become a RN in Ohio by endorsement – you will still have to agree to a thorough background check, and you may also be required to submit your fingerprints. After that, you will have your current licensed checked and if the Ohio State Board of Nursing finds that your license is in good standing, then you will be granted an Ohio RN license.
BSN Requirements In Ohio
If you have decided to make the best of your career as a nurse in Ohio and enroll in a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing training program, then you should be aware of all the eligibility requirements that apply, and that vary from one university to another. Generally speaking, the BSN requirements in Ohio are as follow: you will have to have a GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.00, you will have to successfully complete the college preparation program that includes courses in chemistry, math, biology, English and social sciences, you must complete your admission application, you must have an SAT score o at least 1060. Moreover, you must also send the official copies of your high school transcript to the educational institution that offers the BSN training program.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Ohio licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Ohio Nursing Schools
There are several notable nursing schools in Ohio with a truly encouraging NCLEX pass rate, such as the Southern State Community College in Hillsboro, the ETU Technical College in Niles, the Sandusky Career Center in Sandusky, the Hocking Technical College in Nelsonville, the Knox County Career Center, the Northwest State Community College and many others.