New York Nursing License
The New York Board of Nursing
The New York state has its own Board of Nursing, which is a professional institution that safeguards the members of the public by regulating and licensing only the most skilled, trained and professional nurses in the medical industry. It is the duty of the New York Board of Nursing to make sure that all the licensed practical nurses and nurse practitioners who apply for a New York nursing license meet the highest standards of quality set in the medical field, as well as to prevent any problems related to impaired practice.
How To Become A LPN In New York
The career path that you need to take in order to pursue a blossoming career as a licensed practical nurse in the state of New York is fairly simple and straightforward – at the time being, licensed practical nurses make up to 21% of all the nurses in the state, and the comfort score is of 59. That being said, the first step is to graduate from high school and to get a diploma or an equivalent, before you apply to the one-year training program that will result in a LPN degree. Throughout the 12 months of training, you will enjoy both hands-on practice in clinical settings and laboratories, and also theoretical training that will greatly benefit you.
Only after graduating from this program you will be able to apply for a LPN licensure with the New York State Board of Nursing – in order for that to be possible, you will have to pay the application fee, to have the official transcripts sent to the Board by the nursing school you have graduated from, to agree to a background criminal check as well as to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination and to pass it. You will only be able to sit for the final NCLEX-PN exam after you obtain your CPR card, and after you get your license you will need to renew it every four years, and for that to be possible you will have to attend a minimum of three contact hour courses on infection.
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
- AAS Medical Assisting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
Over 450 Long Island companies have hired our graduates in the past year.
Hunter Business School was founded in 1972 for the purpose of providing quality career training through intensive and innovative programs. Hunter Business School’s mission is to provide students with the opportunity to receive a high quality education for the career best suited to their ability, interest and ambition. We are an educational environment characterized by high expectations and staffed by professionals who are knowledgeable, compassionate, creative, supportive and effective.
- Medical Assistant
How To Become A RN In New York
The main difference between registered nurses and licensed practical nurses in the state of New York, apart from the financial and the educational difference, is the fact that RNs enjoy a much higher comfort score in this state than licensed practical nurses – as a matter of fact, the state of New York is known to be one of the best states for registered nurses to live and to work in. Having said that, in order to become a licensed registered nurse you will have to be at least 18 years of age, and you must complete a degree program or a nursing diploma that usually lasts for 24-36 months.
After that, you can move on to the RN licensure application process, where you can registered for the final NCLEX-RN licensure examination after paying the associated fee and receiving your permit to attend the examination – if you pass the examination, you will receive your licensure and you will be able to work legally as a registered nurse in the state of New York. If you are an out of state registered nurse who already got his or her licensure somewhere else, then you should know that although applicants are virtually subjected to the same eligibility requirements, you do not have to worry about sitting for the licensing examination. After getting the license, all New York registered nurses will have to get some training in two essential fields: infection control and child abuse.
BSN Requirements In New York
Nowadays, most licensed practical nurses (and not only) who want to elevate their career status opt for a BSN, or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing degree, which can significantly provide more employment options. The admission and application requirements may vary, but generally speaking the applicant must submit a high school transcript, must complete an application form, must provide an application essay, must pay a nonrefundable orientation fee that is waived for the active military personnel and the US veterans and must also submit the official transcripts from all the institutions that are listed on the application form.
Nursing Schools In New York
There are several reputable nursing schools spread across the state of New York that can help you get your licensed practical nurse licensure or your registered nurse licensure, such as the Albany College, the Boces Broome-Delaware, the Bryant & Stratton College in Albany, the Clara Barton High School for Health in Brooklyn, the Crouse Hospital in Syracuse, the CUNY-Bronx Community College in Bronx, the Dutchess Boces Practical Nursing Program in Poughkeepsie, the Educational Opportunity Center in Rochester, the Genesee Valley Boces in Batavia, the Finger Lakes Health College in Nursing in Geneva, New York and many others.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of New York licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.