New Jersey Nursing License
New Jersey Board of Nursing
The state of New Jersey has its own Board of Nursing for practical nurses and for registered nurses, and its primary duty is to offer New Jersey nursing licenses only to those who meet the highest standards of training. Not only does the New Jersey State Board of Nursing certify RNs and LPNs, but it also certifies home health aids as well as sexual assault forensic nurses. In addition to this, it is also the duty of the New Jersey Board of Nursing to accredit different nursing schools as well as to approve its clinical affiliates, while safeguarding the health and lives of its state’s citizens.
How To Become A LPN In New Jersey
If you have decided to become a licensed practical nurse in the state of New Jersey, then you must complete a series of education, testing and application processes. Having said that, if you are still in high school yet you have decided to become a LPN in New Jersey, then it is highly recommended to take extra classes in math, science, biology as well as chemistry – after graduation, you need to attend a nursing program that is approved by the New Jersey State Board of Nursing. LPNs finish their formal training a lot faster than registered nurses, not just in New Jersey but in all 50 states – while a licensed practical nurse can get their diploma and certification within as little as one year, a registered nurse has to study for as much as three years for the same credential.
Having said that, after graduating from the training program you will have to apply for the certification process, and sit for the NCLEX-PN examination. The application for licensure must be submitted to the state’s Board of Nursing, along with the application fee, the authorization form, your declaration that you agree to be submitted to a background criminal check as well as a reccent passport style identifying photo taken within the last six months.
You can easily apply for a New Jersey nursing license by endorsement, if you have already passed the NCLEX-PN examination in another state and you have completed your formal education in your home state. For that, you will only have to submit your application form along with the licensure verification proof and a fee. If you are a foreign student who wants to pursue a career as a LPN in the state of New Jersey, then in addition to all these requirements you also have to pass what is known as the Test of English as a Foreign Language, or the TOEFL examination. In all three cases, the license expires every two years, and in order for it to be renewed you will need to complete at least 30 hours of board-approved continued education.
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Assistant
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Medical Assisting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Professional Medical Assistant
How to Become A RN In New Jersey
As mentioned earlier, becoming a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey can be slightly more demanding than becoming a licensed practical nurse in the same state. Just like it happens with LPNs, future RNs can also apply for a New Jersey nursing license via endorsement or via examination – either way, you must complete an approved nursing program, you need a criminal history background check clearance and you also need to pass the final licensure examination, or the NCLEX-RN exam. Becoming a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey requires you to have at least an Associate’s Degree in nursing provided by an accredited university or college.
BSN Requirements In New Jersey
If you want to become a nurse practitioner, then the first thing you need to know is to browse for an approved BSN training program, or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing program that will provide you with specialty training in fields like oncology, pediatrics, midwifery, family nurse practice, gerontology and others. The BSN requirements in New Jersey include a Baccalaureate Degree provided by an accredited university or college, an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, the official transcripts from all formal training institutions you have previously attended, an admission essay, two letters of recommendation as well as a well-written resume. In addition to this, all applicants must also complete several pre-requisite classes in fields like developmental psychology, statistics, human anatomy and physiology and microbiology.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of New Jersey licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Nursing Schools In New Jersey
The state of New Jersey has tens of accredited and approved nursing schools to choose from, including but not limited to the Academy of Allied Health and Science in Freehold, the Salem Community College, the Union County College in Cranford, the Cumberland County College in Vineland, the Ocean County Vocational Technical School in Toms River, the Morris County School of Technology in Denville, New Jersey and many others.