Mississippi Nursing License
The Mississippi State Board of Nursing
The Mississippi State Board of Nursing is an agency that is in charge with protecting the health, the welfare and the life of the public of Mississippi, through the efficient regulation of the medical practice within this state. The State Board of Nursing is also responsible for implementing the Nurse Practice Law, to issue rules and regulations according to the Administrative Code aw well as to provide minimum qualifications for the Mississippi nursing License. The State’s Board of Nursing is also the agency responsible with renewing the licenses of practical nurses, licensed practical nurses, advanced practice registered nurses as well as certified clinical hemodialysis technicians, or CCHTs.
How To Become A LPN In Mississippi
If you are passionate about nursing and you have a genuine desire to help people, then you should know that you can easily pursue a lucrative career as a LPN or a licensed practical nurse in the state of Mississippi, by enrolling in a specialized and state approved course of education that is specifically designed for future LPNs. There are several such programs spread across the state of Mississippi, and all of them aim to provide students with enough theoretical and practical training in a hospital setting to be able to efficiently practice nursing in the future. These LPN training programs usually last for one year or one year and a half, and at the end of the training programs all future LPNs are required to become licensed in order to practice legally.
First time licensees (nurses who do not own any other license) can apply by examination, while LPNs who have already obtained their nursing license in another state can get their Mississippi nursing license by endorsement. First time licensee must send a series of documents to the State Board of Nursing, in order to show that they are eligible for the LPN license. That being said, in addition to the classic licensure application form, these health care professionals must also submit their criminal background check, along with their ATT (acronym that stands for the Authorization to Test for the NCLEX examination), the NCLEX registration form, the official transcript which must be sent directly by the LPN training school along with the degree and the graduation date. After meeting all these eligibility requirements for the licensure examination, future licensed practical nurses are allowed to sit for the NCLEX examination, which is a comprehensive and in-depth test designed to check the nursing skills, knowledge and expertise of these medical professionals. The LPN licenses are set to expire every odd-numbered years, which means that all licensed practical nurses in these state must renew their licenses once every two years.
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes
- Get Matched to the Perfect Nursing Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here
- Learn at Your Own Pace And Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions And You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
How To Become A RN In Mississippi
RNs or registered nurses are at least as appreciated in the health care industry in the state of Mississippi as the licensed practical nurses. Statistically speaking, more than half of the licensed nurses who work in the state are employed by state hospitals, and they are allowed to perform considerably more medical tasks than LPNs – they can administer medication, they can offer high-quality medical care and assistants during the recovery process and they can also monitor the health of patients.
Having said that, most registered nurses choose to get either an Associate’s degree in Nursing, a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing or a Master’s, in order to pursue a lucrative career in the nursing industry. All these three programs provide the student with all the classroom and the laboratory/clinical training he or she will need later on as a registered nurse, including courses in anatomy, human physiology, behavioral sciences, emergency medicine, medical ethics, health law and such. Only after graduating from an approved RN training programs these professionals can apply for a license, which will only be obtained after sitting for the NCLEX-Registered Nurse examination, which is a more comprehensive and difficult exam than the NCLEX-Practical Nurse examination.
BSN Requirements In Mississippi
Enrolling in a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Nursing is the wisest choice for those who want to work in the state of Mississippi as either a registered nurse or a nurse practitioner. The eligibility requirements vary greatly, but the most important ones include the graduation from an Associate’s Degree training program, a minimum GPA of 2.5 or more on a scale of 4.0 in non-nursing pre-requisite courses, a proof of criminal background check, a negative screening for controlled substances, pre-requisite courses, proof of unrestricted license to practice medicine as a registered nurse, proof of holding a current and valid CPR examination as well as proof of immunizations, a TB skin test and a thorough physical examination.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Mississippi licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Nursing Schools In Mississippi
There are several nursing schools in Mississippi that offer high-quality LPN and RN training programs, such as the Northwest Mississippi Community College in Ashland, the Holmes Community College in Ridgeland, the Hinds Community College in Jackson, the Coahoma Community College in Clarksdale, the East Central Community College, the Pearl River Community College and many others.