Maryland Nursing License
The process of becoming a nurse in Maryland is similar to that of other states. Applicants can apply for the necessary Maryland nursing license by passing the NCLEX examination, or via endorsement if they have worked or are working as a registered nurse in another state.
They must also complete the required coursework in nursing education program approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing, or an out-of-state program that the board considers equivalent.
RN Licensing Requirements
To start the licensing process, RNs must register a passing score on the NCLEX-RN exam, then undergo and pass a criminal history record check. They must also be capable of proving that they are of good moral character by truthfully answering questions on a survey designed to verify this.
In addition, Maryland has a provision that applicants must demonstrate oral competence in the English language.
To do this, they must either graduate from a recognized professional school where English is spoken, graduate from a recognized undergraduate program where English is spoken for an enrollment period of least 3 years, or complete at least 5 years of practicing nursing in another state or a territory of the US where English is spoken.
For RNs with residency or out-of-state issues, those applying for a license under the Multistate Licensure Compact must take the NCLEX in their home state. They are allowed to hold licenses in one state at a time, and that state must be their home state. Applicants whose primary state is not Maryland will not be allowed to apply for a license in Maryland.
RN Education Requirements
Registered nurses in Maryland must have at least an associates degree in nursing from an accredited college or university that has been approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
There are many schools offering such programs. A partial list includes the Allegany College of Maryland, Cecil College, Chesapeake College, Baltimore City Community College and the College of Southern Maryland. A full list of programs is available at http://www.degreetree.com/resources/how-to-become-an-rn-in-maryland.
Because many RNs have difficulty securing an entry level job with just an associated degree, many choose to get experience as a CNA or LPN or go on to get their bachelors degree in nursing. A partial list of schools offering the bachelors degree includes Towson University, John Hopkins University, Coppin State University and the College of Notre Dame of Maryland.
Maryland also offers the opportunity to get an associates degree in nursing online via the college network. Those pursuing this path must already be licensed LPNs or LVNs. Information on how to do this can be found at http://www.degreetree.com/school/the-college-network/lpn-to-rn-as-in-nursing-licensed-lpn-lvns-only?campusid=22&programId=110#Init.
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
We want to help you get that degree. Consider:
1. Start Fast, Finish Fast: You can earn an Associate’s degree in 20 months, and a Bachelor’s degree in 30 to 36 months.*
2. Save up to $5,000 on your college degree.† You can afford college with our new Fresh Start Scholarships!
3. Tuition Assistance: Financial aid and grants are available to those who qualify.
- Nursing (RN completion to BS) (RN req.)
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes
- Get Matched to the Perfect Nursing Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here
- Learn at Your Own Pace And Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions And You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
LPN License Requirements
While the licensing process for LPNs in Maryland is similar to that of RNs in Maryland and LPNs in other states, there are some differences that are worth noting.
In Maryland, those applying for an LPN license must be fingerprinted. The Maryland Nursing Board recommends that applicants do this at a police barracks or criminal justice office that performs electronic fingerprinting.
There are several sites available to do this, with the best being the Reisterstown Plmda. Fingerprints may take several weeks to be processed, and there is a $57.25 charge associated with the criminal history check. A postcard is stamped during the fingerprinting process as evidence that it has been completed, and it is part of being authorized to take the NCLEX exam.
A complete set of instructions for the fingerprinting process can be found at the Maryland Board of Nursing Fact Sheet.
As for the licensing exam, the fee for the NCLEX-PN is $200, payable to Pearson Vue. For those applying by endorsement, a passport photo is also required.
Before taking the NCLEX, nursing students should become certified as CNAs and fulfill the training requirements, then apply to the Maryland Board to take the exam.
LPN Education Requirements
The educational requirements for prospective LPNs start with having a high school education. Once they have secured this qualification, they should enroll in a practical nursing program that has been approved by the Maryland Board, or a similar program in another state that has been approved by the Board.
Maryland also provides opportunities for LPNs to move up to RN status via accreditation. This is a separate process from state approval.
Accreditation through the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing indicates that program has been found to meet an extensive list of standards. In some instances, completing an accredited program may help open up LPN to RN options
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Maryland licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Maryland and the BSN
Maryland also supports nurses try to advance their education via a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN). A list of schools with BSN programs can be found at http://nursewithoutborders.org/finding-bsn-program-maryland/.
To complete this process, applicants must complete all prerequisite courses along with core nursing classes. They also must pass the NCLEX-RN exam after graduating from a BSN program.
Finally, they must stay current with ongoing licensing renewal requirements, which state that licenses must be renewed every other year.