Maine Nursing License
The Maine Board of Nursing
The Maine State Board of Nursing has a very clear and specific mission, and that is to protect and to safeguard the public health, as well as the welfare of all the citizens in the state of Maine by regulating the nursing professions and making nursing practice safe and efficient. Having said that, it is the duty of the Maine State Board of Nursing to make sure that all applicants meet the Maine nursing license requirements, as they are only there to protect the public and to ensure a high level of safety. In addition to this, it also comes down to the state’s Board of Nursing to make sure that all these aspects are implemented in a timely, professional and cost-conscious way.
How To Become A LPN In Maine
As you may know already, both licensed practical nurses and registered nurses are regulated by the Maine Board of Nursing, and if you have decided to become a licensed practical nurse in Maine, then you will have to complete an approved program in the field of practical nursing. There are currently only two accredited LPN-degree programs that offer high-quality training for future practical nurses in Maine, and those are the Interstate Career Institute as well as the Central Maine Community College.
After meeting all the eligibility requirements and you are accepted into the approved LPN training program, you will have to attend both the classroom courses and the laboratory courses, as getting hands-on experience and theoretical knowledge will be of utmost importance later on, in your career as a licensed practical nurse. Only at the end of the training program, which typically lasts for a year, you can review the licensure application process, make sure to meet all the eligibility requirements and then sit for the NCLEX-Practical Nurse examination.
That being said, you will firstly have to fill out an application for examination and licensure, you will need to attach a recent passport photo taken within the last six months, you must have your application form legalized and notarized and you must also pay the application fee. After that, you will be able to sit for the NCLEX-PN program and to receive your authorization for the scheduled computer examination. If you manage to pass the exam, you will be given a license – although in most state the LPN license is valid for two years, in the state of Maine is will have to be renewed on a yearly basis by meeting certain educational requirements mentioned on the official website of the Maine State Board of Nursing.
If you are an out of state licensed practical nurse who has already manage to pursue licensure outside Maine, then you can apply for a Maine LPN licensure by endorsement – after your current licensure is being examined in your state of residence and you pay a fee, you will be able to work legally as a nurse in the state of Maine.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Grow Your Career with the University of Saint Mary
The University of Saint Mary is a Catholic institution in Leavenworth, Kansas, that has been educating students since 1923. Guided by the vision of its founders, the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, USM seeks to inspire students and to prepare them for value-centered lives and careers that will benefit our global society.
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Administrator
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing Education - Master
- Nursing Leadership - Master
- RN to BSN
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse-Midwifery
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader. We provide an online graduate experience that combines academic excellence with faith-based values to create ethical, effective leaders ready to improve their workplaces, their communities, and the world at large. Concordia New York is an accredited, nonprofit college with an academic tradition dating back more than 130 years. We offer a quality, affordable education that separates true innovation from trends, and best practices from buzzwords.
- B.S. in RN to BS Nursing
- Professional Medical Assistant
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
How To Become RN In Maine
If you have decided to pursue a career as a lucrative career in Maine, then you should know that while LPNs tend to get formally educated within as little as one year, registered nurses will have to undergo deeper education that can last up to three years. The first and most important step you need to take is to consult with the Maine State Board of Nursing and to find an accredited registered nurse training program that appeals to you.
After you graduate from the training program, you will be able to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensure examination – if you are an out of state registered nurse, then you can apply for a registered nurse licensure in Maine via Licensure, provided that you offer the local Board of Nursing solid proof that the current licensure you own in your state of residence is in good standing. You may also have to ask your former school to submit all the official transcripts, and if you are an international RN then in addition to these requirements you will also have to pass the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School examination, in order to be allowed to sit for the Maine RN licensure examination, or the NCLEX-RN.
BSN Requirements In Maine
Students who want to enroll in a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing degree must have at least an Associate’s Degree in the field, and must meet the documentation set by each institution. It is also important for students to complete a thorough background check before they proceed with the enrollment, and they must also meet various clinical requirements: some clinical agencies may require BSN students to submit to a drug test. Moreover, you must also cover all the additional clinical and laboratory fees that apply, and all BSN students are highly advised to opt for that is known as a professional liability insurance, especially since most major clinical agencies in the state of Maine require it.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Maine licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Nursing Schools In Maine
There are several nursing schools Maine. Some of them, such as the Central Maine Community College, the Eastern Maine Community College, the Southern Maine Community College or the University of Maine at Augusta offer Associate’s Degree training programs, while the Kaplan University, the University of Southern Maine, the University of New England, the University of Maine and other universities across the state offer Baccalaureate degree training programs.