Maine Nursing License
The Maine Board of Nursing
The Maine State Board of Nursing has a very clear and specific mission, and that is to protect and to safeguard the public health, as well as the welfare of all the citizens in the state of Maine by regulating the nursing professions and making nursing practice safe and efficient. Having said that, it is the duty of the Maine State Board of Nursing to make sure that all applicants meet the Maine nursing license requirements, as they are only there to protect the public and to ensure a high level of safety. In addition to this, it also comes down to the state’s Board of Nursing to make sure that all these aspects are implemented in a timely, professional and cost-conscious way.
How To Become A LPN In Maine
As you may know already, both licensed practical nurses and registered nurses are regulated by the Maine Board of Nursing, and if you have decided to become a licensed practical nurse in Maine, then you will have to complete an approved program in the field of practical nursing. There are currently only two accredited LPN-degree programs that offer high-quality training for future practical nurses in Maine, and those are the Interstate Career Institute as well as the Central Maine Community College.
After meeting all the eligibility requirements and you are accepted into the approved LPN training program, you will have to attend both the classroom courses and the laboratory courses, as getting hands-on experience and theoretical knowledge will be of utmost importance later on, in your career as a licensed practical nurse. Only at the end of the training program, which typically lasts for a year, you can review the licensure application process, make sure to meet all the eligibility requirements and then sit for the NCLEX-Practical Nurse examination.
That being said, you will firstly have to fill out an application for examination and licensure, you will need to attach a recent passport photo taken within the last six months, you must have your application form legalized and notarized and you must also pay the application fee. After that, you will be able to sit for the NCLEX-PN program and to receive your authorization for the scheduled computer examination. If you manage to pass the exam, you will be given a license – although in most state the LPN license is valid for two years, in the state of Maine is will have to be renewed on a yearly basis by meeting certain educational requirements mentioned on the official website of the Maine State Board of Nursing.
If you are an out of state licensed practical nurse who has already manage to pursue licensure outside Maine, then you can apply for a Maine LPN licensure by endorsement – after your current licensure is being examined in your state of residence and you pay a fee, you will be able to work legally as a nurse in the state of Maine.
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
How To Become RN In Maine
If you have decided to pursue a career as a lucrative career in Maine, then you should know that while LPNs tend to get formally educated within as little as one year, registered nurses will have to undergo deeper education that can last up to three years. The first and most important step you need to take is to consult with the Maine State Board of Nursing and to find an accredited registered nurse training program that appeals to you.
After you graduate from the training program, you will be able to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensure examination – if you are an out of state registered nurse, then you can apply for a registered nurse licensure in Maine via Licensure, provided that you offer the local Board of Nursing solid proof that the current licensure you own in your state of residence is in good standing. You may also have to ask your former school to submit all the official transcripts, and if you are an international RN then in addition to these requirements you will also have to pass the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School examination, in order to be allowed to sit for the Maine RN licensure examination, or the NCLEX-RN.
BSN Requirements In Maine
Students who want to enroll in a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing degree must have at least an Associate’s Degree in the field, and must meet the documentation set by each institution. It is also important for students to complete a thorough background check before they proceed with the enrollment, and they must also meet various clinical requirements: some clinical agencies may require BSN students to submit to a drug test. Moreover, you must also cover all the additional clinical and laboratory fees that apply, and all BSN students are highly advised to opt for that is known as a professional liability insurance, especially since most major clinical agencies in the state of Maine require it.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Maine licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Nursing Schools In Maine
There are several nursing schools Maine. Some of them, such as the Central Maine Community College, the Eastern Maine Community College, the Southern Maine Community College or the University of Maine at Augusta offer Associate’s Degree training programs, while the Kaplan University, the University of Southern Maine, the University of New England, the University of Maine and other universities across the state offer Baccalaureate degree training programs.