Kentucky Nursing License
The Kentucky Board of Nursing
The Kentucky State Board of Nursing is an institution within the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and its purpose is to safeguard the safety, the health and the lives of people of Kentucky by making sure that all nursing professionals who work in this state are fully trained and licensed. Governed by the Nurse Practice Act, this Board of Nursing is responsible for providing Kentucky nursing licenses to those who meet the requirements, to renew them on a constant basis as well as to develop and to enforce state laws regarding the safe practice of nursing in this state.
How To Become A LPN In Kentucky
If you are looking forward to receiving your license and becoming a licensed practical nurse in the state of Kentucky, then the first and most important thing you have to do is to attend a certified and accredited nursing program where you will receive all the essential practical and theoretical training that you will be needing throughout your career. The training programs for LPNs are shorter than those for registered nurses and they aim to provide students with a basic insight into the nursing science – at the end of the training session, applicants who want to pursue the designation of LPNs in the state of Kentucky must sit for the NCLEX-PN examination and pass it with a satisfactory score.
Just like it happens with the accredited nursing programs where students have to meet certain eligibility requirements, it is of utmost importance for future LPNs to make sure that they also meet all the eligibility requirements for the licensure examination as well, including but not limited to the official transcript that should be send directly to the Kentucky State Board of Nursing from the state approved nursing program the applicant has attended, a complete criminal background check along with a fingerprinting card and a satisfactory score on the Kentucky Jurisprudence Examination.
In addition to this, applicants who want to pursue a licensure in the state of Kentucky and work as licensed practical nurses here must also meet all the continued competency requirements in different fields related to nursing. LPNs who have already obtained their license in another state can pursue their Kentucky nursing license via endorsement, but they will still have to submit solid proof of continued competency as this is what this state requires, along with a copy of their social security card.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- BS Nursing (RN/BSN)
- MS Nursing w/Con Nurse Executive
Sullivan University is Kentucky's largest private college or university, offering higher education for people with higher goals. At Sullivan University, we focus on in-demand programs that lead to successful careers. Whether you're a high school student considering college for the first time, an adult returning to school or someone seeking professional development, you'll be surprised at the variety and range of alternatives Sullivan University offers.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
How To Become A RN In Kentucky
If you want to become a registered nurse in the state of Kentucky, then you will have to pursue either an Associate’s Degree in the Science of Nursing, which typically takes two years of full time study, or a Bachelor’s Degree in the Science of Nursing, which can take up to four years of training in the field. All future RNs are required to take some undergraduate pre-requisite college courses in some of the most important nursing related fields such as English, math or chemistry, and only after that they can move on and apply to a college of nursing, where they will be admitted if they meet all the eligibility requirements.
The courses include topics like pharmacology, human anatomy or physiology, and the training for becoming a registered nurse is considerably longer and more intense than the training for becoming a licensed practical nurse, not only in the state of Kentucky but in all the 50 US states. Upon graduating from the approved registered nursing training program in the state, applicants will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN examination.
BSN Requirements In Kentucky
Every future RN (and not only) should be aware of the BSN requirements that apply in the state of Kentucky. It is important to submit all the high school transcripts and the official college transcripts, and some universities require their applicants to hold a current Registered Nurse license that will be verified later on by the Nursing Department. A resume is also required, along with an admissions interview with the chairperson of the BSN program. In addition to this, another eligibility requirement for enrollment in the BSN training program is to have an ADN degree and to have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a scale of 4. Some universities prefer to accept students who have good clinical performance and who have some degree of work experience in the nursing field already.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Kentucky licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Nursing Schools In Kentucky
At the time being, there are more than 30 different nursing programs that are approved by the Kentucky State Board of Nursing, and they are provided by community colleges and nursing schools. Having said that, here are some of the Kentucky nursing schools that can provide high-quality nursing training that will prepare students for the NCLEX licensure examination: the Henderson Community College, the SouthCentral Kentucky Technical and Community College, the Owensboro Technical and Community College, the Somerset Community College, the Hopkinsville Community College, the Gateway Technical Community College and many others, all of which provide great nursing training programs for future registered nurses and licensed practical nurses.