Alaska Nursing License
The Alaska Board of Nursing
The Alaska Board of Nursing, or the ABN, is the institution that actively protects and promotes the health and welfare of the citizens of Alaska, by implementing an effective practice of nursing, exactly as it is defined by the law. It is the duty of the Alaska Board of Nursing to adopt regulations in order to carry out the laws that govern the practice the nursing discipline for nurses and nurse aides in Alaska, and it is also up to the Alaska Board of Nursing to take disciplinary actions against all nursing professionals who violate the licensing laws, and to provide them with the Alaska nursing license if they meet the eligibility requirements.
How To Become A LPN In Alaska
If you have decided to practice as a licensed practical nurse in Alaska, then it is important to understand that in order to do that legally, you must either apply for a permanent license that must be renewed every 24 months, or you must apply for a temporary permit that allows you to work as a nurse. In order to become a LPN in Alaska, you must firstly submit an application form, a recent passport-type photo and to pay the adjacent fee. In addition to this, all applicants must submit their completed fingerprint cards and they must provide the transcript and the nursing program degree verification from the accredited nursing school they have previously attended – all these documents must be sent directly to the Alaska Board of Nursing.
As it happens in any other US state, those who want to become LPNs in Alaska can do that either by endorsement or by examination. Most of the Alaskan LPNs pursue a lucrative career in the nursing industry by taking the NCLEX exam, and if they manage to pass them, they will become licensed and they will be able to work legally in the state. Nonetheless, those who want to pursue their licensure by endorsement must send the documents mentioned above, as well as a verification of the existing licensure from the state where the LPN currently holds his or her nursing license. In addition to all these legal documents, it is also very important for those who want to work as LPNs in Alaska to show that they have worked at least 320 hours in the nursing industry, over the past 24 months. The Alaska nursing licenses for LPNs are valid for a two-year period, and they expire in the month of September of even years.
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online & CCNE Accredited DNP Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your DNP Degree in 2018? Find Doctor of Nursing Practice Programs Here
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online DNP Programs Within Minutes
- Get Matched to Online Nursing Degree Programs Today — It's Fast, Easy, and Free!
How To Become A RN In Alaska
Those who want to work as registered nurses in the state of Alaska can follow the same steps as those who want to work as LPNs. That being said, you can get your license and become a RN in Alaska either by endorsement, if you already hold a registered nurse license in another US state, or by examination if this is the first time you apply for the license. As an endorsement applicant, you must firstly graduate from a fully accredited registered nurse training program, and you must also submit your proof of licensure from the other state.
However, if this is the first time you apply for a RN license, then you must be well-aware of all the Alaska nursing license requirements: you must submit an application that has been previously signed and notarized, you must pay the application fee and you must also submit the completed fingerprint card supplied by the Alaska Board of Nursing. Moreover, you must also have the school of nursing you have attended send the nursing program verification form, along with the official transcript and the graduation date and the type of degree that you were given. All documents must be in English – if not, they must come with a certified English translation.
If you have decided to become a registered nurse in Alaska by examination, then you must hold at least an Associate’s Degree in nursing, provided by a university or college that was accredited by the Alaska’s Board of Nursing.
Salary and Career Info
The interactive chart above is a visual representation of the annual salary of Alaska licensed nurse compared to the national annual salaries, all based on the latest May 2013 Occupational Employment Statistics figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
BSN Requirements In Alaska
If you have decided to make the best of your career as a nurse in Alaska and pursue the BSN designation in Nursing Science, then it is important to meet all the theoretical and practical requirements. Having said that, you must submit your certification of admission for BS Nursing Science along with the transcripts from the enrollment services, you must enroll in advising sessions with the nursing academic advisor and you must also have a minimum GPA average of 3.0. All BSN applicants must obtain a grade of C or higher in all the courses that are required for this particular nursing major, and they must also complete all the specific pre-requisite courses.
Nursing Schools In Alaska
The Anchorage School of Nursing from the University of Alaska is actually the only accredited nursing institution that offers a RN program. However, there are some other institutions, such as the University of Alaska in Fairbanks that offer LPN training program and Master’s programs, as well as the Alaska Vocational Technical Center in Seward and Anchorage.